Monday, February 8, 2010

Message For The VA

by The Usual Suspect

Your phone lines are so busy that I can't even be put on hold. I understand, the GI Bill department of the V.A. is probably an intense place to be right now, so I'll just leave this here.

I was getting out of the Army, "breaking contact", so to speak. I was assured and assured that the GI Bill was going to cover the expenses, was gonna cover me while I assaulted my objective (college), if you take my meaning. You can imagine my surprise when I realized I was all alone, figuratively overrun.

I'm up. He sees me. I'm broke.

That doesn't matter anymore though, it's done and over with, no hard feelings. I made the mistake of not having a backup plan. That was my fault.

It gets better though. After I dropped out, the housing allowance money started coming through. I used that money to pay off my debts and live off of. I recognize that this creates an issue. I would like to find out how much I owe you, and how we can straighten this out and get back to square one. I just need to know what you need from me, and I'll make the rest happen.

OBJECTIVE: Attending classes, full time, powering toward a degree THIS FALL, 2010. I ask you, VA, if you're up to it. If so, my email is the.usual_suspect at hotmail.

Respectfully,
The Usual Suspect

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your unrelenting decency is extraordinary.

KathyB said...

I have faith that this will work out. Unless things have changed more than I know, work with your school person who works with veteran education benefits. Not sure how it is handled at your school.

As long as there have been veterans eligible for education benefits, there has been a need for addressing issues like this. VA calls it overpayment. Usually a plan can be worked out once you are actually in school and receiving your benefits based on actual enrollment in a program.

Please reach out to the school first. If you have a name and a direct number, they are golden. I think I remembered that you deferred your admission. It will need to be reactivated.

I'm enjoying this activity a lot more than you are. I'm excited about it.

Anonymous said...

Oh, you are screeeewwwwwed. See, they don't know how to fix it, so they won't. Then, 30 years from now, they'll haul your ass away in handcuffs. Good luck with that.

The Usual Suspect said...

Hahaha! Thanks for the tip.

Anonymous said...

I hear sheds in the middle of BFE are nice this time of year...