Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The 2010 Experiment

by The Usual Suspect


This is my personal challenge, to myself, and I welcome you all to join me in it for this next year, if not the rest of your lifetimes.

Work hard, the universe doesn't give a shit about the slothful, and damn sure won't reward them.

Play harder, life is hard enough.

Love hardest of all, because our time is borrowed, and like it or not, we pay our debts on time.

Its simple. Several core elements to every man and woman, things they keep in mind at all times. Dignity, self reliance, humility, respect, compassion, decisiveness, the will to forge the best life with the small amount of time given. Just naming a few, just from brainstorm and inspiration alone.

Use that dormant, dreaming part of your brain for a minute, if you're feeling super saucy, and dream with me for a minute:

You are someone who is aware of the direction your nation is going. You are someone who is aware that there are people who are not from the same land as you, people who speak a different language, but you understand that they are people too, and not just a convenience to find on your Discovery Channel.

You are someone who is aware of the perils of the world, and are prepared accordingly to defend the things that you hold dear. And you're someone that is strong enough to stand the horrors of others' weakness without passing it on.

One of the most vital lessons you can learn in the Army is that if you want to be a good leader, you should observe your leaders and emulate the strong points, discard the weak points. Do this with enough role models, and hopefully you're heading in the right direction (yeah, chump, don't think you can ever stop learning).

You leave a legacy, no matter how much or how little you do. You cannot exist without having an impact on the world. So fuck you and your idea of just "going along and getting along". You changed the equation just by existing, and that wasn't even your choice. Harsh world huh?

2010 is a cool number, feels like it should show promise. Space movies and whatnot. Think about an iPod Touch. Smaller than your wallet, and can hold way more albums than you should ever be able to conveniently handle. The fact that we can even RECORD sounds and music is mindblowing, and more than humanity was probably ever meant to do.

So uh, let's try not to be such douchebags this next decade? Fill a few less body bags, just for shits n giggles? Or don't. Your choice. Universe is gonna keep on dicking around anyway. Long after we're all worm food, and our great great great great great great NOT SO GREAT grandkids are gonna bitch in school about how "No one wants to hear about how the stupid ancient Americans were arrogant, self important dicks! BOOOOOOOOOOOORING!!!!!"



Too long, didn't read?

Imagine if you were the SINGLE specimen chosen to sum up your home country. Or the human race in general. What kind of example would you be? I'd be a pisspoor example. So break out some resolutions, and act like your word is worth something.

Happy holidays.

10 comments:

membrain said...

I have a resolution to read more books and watch less TV. Currently I'm reading Charlie Wilson's War and it's a real eye-opener.

If anybody is looking for a good Vietnam War book I highly recommend Robert Mason's CHICKENHAWK about his time as a helicopter pilot in Vietnam. It's one of the very best books on the subject I have yet to read. Chickenhawk had a different meaning back then.

http://www.robertcmason.com/chickenhawk.html

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all readers of this blog.

bigD said...

Hi Ryan,
I like the idea of your 2010 experiment. I agree 2010 has a nice ring to it...I always used to say I like even numbers because a lot of good stuff in my life has happened in even years, but, I guess that is just a lot of superstitious BS.

I like what you say and I believe it is true. This is the best morsel of awesome right here:

"Its simple. Several core elements to every man and woman, things they keep in mind at all times. Dignity, self reliance, humility, respect, compassion, decisiveness, the will to forge the best life with the small amount of time given."

And this one, "Love hardest of all, because our time is borrowed..."

If you were the single specimen chosen to sum up our country, I know you would be a fine example.
God(s) bless you Ryan. My thoughts and prayers are with you and I look forward to hearing about the 2010 experiment.

Anonymous said...

Good work, Suspect!!
I wish you were a representative example of the human species. z

lorraine said...

Never too long to read Suspect.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to print this off, post it on the wall, and read it every day.
~Lynda

Anonymous said...

Does it count as a New Year's resolution if someone else wrote it for you?

I hope so, because yours is perfect.

Happy holidays, Suspect, and thanks for everything.

Pattie Matheson said...

"Work hard, the universe doesn't give a shit about the slothful, and damn sure won't reward them."

Our parents try to teach us that, but it usually takes a sharp kick in the butt from LIFE to drive the lesson home. Too many of your generation haven't had the pleasure. Thank god(s) there are men and women like you.

The world's your oyster in the decade to come. I've no doubt that you're gonna make the most of it. You grok it. Life is what you make it.

I so love the way your mind is working!
~P~

PS: IPOD or MP3, can't make up my mind......... got a TON of LP's to deal with........

Anonymous said...

THIS is why you are my favorite person on the whole planet (I haven't met them all but I assume they all suck in comparison, because let's be honest, that would be really time consuming).

Smart AND pretty!

Jenni said...

nice, doughboy. much more eloquent than dad's lessons he liked to bestow on us growing up, but reflects the same wisdom. i'm proud of you...

13 Stoploss said...

So, where are we on this one?

17 Dec '10