Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Thoughts on the Stop Loss Backpay Application

by 13 Stoploss



Earlier this afternoon, I was contacted by James Dao, National Correspondent for Military and Veterans Affairs at the New York Times. He had a few questions about the stop loss backpay. This afternoon, his article, for which I am included, was posted online at the NYTimes.

As you know (reported here last night), I applied online using a digital upload of both my DD214, and a DD4. The questionnaire only takes a few minutes, but it asks for information like your SSN, current residence, EFT numbers, and most importantly, the dates and primary location of your involuntary extension.

I imagine that I was one of the first to apply online, and the process went smoothly. Tonight, however, I have been unable to load the web address from two different computers. My guess is that the website is being bombarded by student veterans like myself who have yet to get paid by the Post-9/11 GI Bill...

In the coming days, we shall hopefully learn more. And, it's important to note that the web questionnaire specifically asked for an email address and phone number to keep the veteran up to date on the progress of his applications. Here's to hoping my $6500 reaches me before Xmas--I've got visions of a 50" Panasonic TC-P50V10 Plasma mounted on the wall of my living room...

Anyone got any bets on the dates for the payout? I'll be optimistic and say the odds are 2:1 that I get the money before my Post-9/11 Gi Bill money comes in!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, I hope so!! z

Liz said...

Nice quote at the end of the article. Packed a big emotional punch. Also, I'm glad he mentioned your blog. Congratulations!

Oden said...

Same boat as you bro. I'd say 2 weeks since air force is 30 days and we've always been a little quicker on our toes than the Af.....here's to crossing fingers