Friday, October 30, 2009

I Want to Punch the VA in the Throat!

by 13 Stoploss


Hey, great news everyone. I submitted my Post-9/11 GI Bill application, and they received it!




It only took four weeks, but the VA has accepted my Post-9/11 GI Bill application!




Hey, great fucking news geniuses! The assholes over at the VA were kind enough to let me know how fucking squared away they are.

My school's VA Coordinator sent in my certification paperwork in late August. If you read that interview I posted a while back, you'd have seen that the regents from the University of California had a little tiff with the VA this summer. Had something to do with UC calling "tuition fees" by the name "education fees." You know how it goes--VA didn't like that one bit. UC had to toe the line, and naturally, that took big-shot fucking lawyers to get involved and make some changes in the wording...

So, couple weeks ago, I went online and got that emergency money. Took seven days to reach me. After bills go out today, that money has been reduced to $0.

Fucking zero.

To be honest, I had an inkling of hope that I was going to get paid today, you know, with the 1st day of the month falling on a Sunday, that makes today the last business day of the month. Yeah, I guess that won't be happening until next year now. Way to fucking save Christmas, Veterans Affairs.

Now what the fuck am I supposed to do?

Friday EDIT: This might help. But when? I *wonder* what the story behind this move is...

Saturday EDIT 2: Not going to scan this one, but I got a letter in the mail today from the VA. They wanted to let me know that the per monthly rate for Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill has increased. It was dated six days before the letter I received yesterday.

I wonder how much money the VA wastes on redundant paper mailings? Shouldn't there be a list tracking the names of veterans? It should be a giant Excel sheet, and it should be updated to include whether the vet is on Chapter 30, 31, or 33. So, aside from the double mailing I received yesterday, which was received five fucking months after I got the first one, this giant Excel sheet would let the VA know that I don't need to know about the $67 increase to the obsolete Chapter 30 because I'm enrolled in Chapter 33!!

Imagine the savings on postage, envelopes, paper, and ink. That could be tens, or even a couple hundred thousand useless mailings. How much money would that save in a year? Taxpayer money just pissed down the shitter.

Is it time to reform?

4 comments:

Pattie Matheson said...

Well, you know how I feel about this so I won't do that rant again but it sure makes me mad.

I'm sure it won't make you feel any better to know the gvt is painfully slow and slap-dash dealing with the rest of us too.

How is it that all the people the gvt employs can't get the job done? Could it be they're top heavy - too many chiefs, not enough indians? oh brother, no offense meant everybody...

Adding contractors may be inevitable because gvt can't seem to see the forest for the trees. Why not hire the bodies they need? Its not like there's gonna be a lack of vets any time soon. Ok, I know why but it'll just be one more time-consuming layer. They'll get to brag about how much money they're saving and the vets get shafted. Again. Shoot, my neighbors and I could get it done without all the hassle and heaven knows we've got the time. We don't all of play golf....

~P~

Pattie Matheson said...

PS: "Now what the fuck am I supposed to do?"

Now is when you get creative. Save what $ there is for the kids and use your talents for the rest.

One year my son & I had to choose between a tree or a traditional Christmas meal. Need I say he chose the tree! The church helped and some of the toys were gently used but he didn't seem to notice. His favorite gift was my 10 speed, spiffed up and decorated, which he'd lusted after. We ate peanut butter sandwiches for lunch & dinner and there was no heat but Jesse doesn't seem to remember that. Just the bike.

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid there's a lot of it going around, Stoploss. Things are crazy tight right now... my business is closing at the end of next month and I'm looking at a debt load I can't believe. So it goes... Hang in there, don't crack! z

Liz said...

I couldn't even read your post because I got so distracted by the music. I haven't heard this song in YEARS.

Alright, now I went back and read it. That sucks. I don't know what the answer is to the paperwork problem. It seems less a problem of wasted paper than the fact that vets are sort of stuck without knowing what's going on or who's paying attention to their case or even whether anyone's paying attention. Maybe the VA should ask Microsoft how they keep their paperwork straight.